Listen to the show:
Today we’re talking about the elephant in the room – Aussie housing!
Specifically, how do we deal with our biggest lifestyle cost without ruining our plans for Financial Independence? (if you prefer, download the mp3 file here)
- Renting versus buying
- The huge freedom and flexibility of renting.
- How damn expensive it is to move house as an owner
- How we each approach housing and our plans going forward
- Forced savings versus self-discipline
- The LONG list of costs that most home owners seem to gloss over
- Leverage and capital growth
- Suburb arbitrage
- How the tax/welfare system is skewed in favour of buying
- How to optimise whether you’re buying or renting
- Why renting in affluent areas is actually good value
- The insane amount of spare rooms Aussies have
- Should you buy property with a small or large deposit?
- And much more!
Resources and stuff mentioned:
- SQM Research rental yields
- Australia’s spare room capacity
- Article: Rent vs Buy – The Aussie Housing Dilemma
- Article: Is Your Dream House Costing You Your Freedom?
- FIRE & Chill YouTube Channel
Listen in your favourite podcast app:
Or join my mailing list below to get notified of future episodes in your inbox:
Do you have anything to add to this discussion? Let me know in the comments below…