Listen to the show:
(or download the mp3 file here)
In this episode we jump into the always-fascinating topic of recessions and market downturns. How should we deal with these disruptions on our FIRE journey? What should we do with our investments?
(note: some details regarding the coronavirus have changed since we recorded this episode)
During the show, we discuss:
- Who could have predicted our life in 2020? (02:44)
- Are recession forecasts worth listening to? (05:25)
- Pat explains the real definition of Murphy’s Law (10:36)
- Market timing – why can’t we avoid the downturns? (16:05)
- Investing while markets are ‘expensive’ (23:28)
- Anecdotes, Aussie punters and bubble stocks (29:48)
- Market returns and cherry-picking start and end dates (32:47)
- Our best advice for dealing with fear and uncertainty (34:18)
- Summary and key takeaways (44:12)
- Listener question: How do we track and manage our spending? (47:35)
- Vanguard article on market timing
- Long Term Investing & Shrugging Off Sharemarket Falls
- Timing the Market: Silly or Sensible?
- Is the Sharemarket Dangerously Overvalued?
- What if Australia Crashes?
Listen in your favourite podcast app:
Or join my mailing list below and get notified of future episodes in your inbox…
Want more FIRE & Chill?
Do you have something to add to this discussion? Share your thoughts in the comments below 🙂